Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wikipedia's Fania Records Entry


In an attempt to experiment with the Wikipedia editing world, I have added a tidbit of information to an entry on Fania Records.

For those of you who don't know, Fania is sort of the Motown of salsa music. Over past four decades, it has recorded some of salsa's most legendary artists, such as Celia Cruz, Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, Ray Barretto, etc.

What I did was add a sentence in the second paragraph about what got the label going. I wrote the following: "The label started out a small venture, but it gained popularity after the success of its first official record, Pacheco's 'CaƱonazo,' which led to the expansion of its talent base."

("Pacheco" is a reference to salsa artist and Fania co-founder Johnny Pacheco mentioned in the previous paragraph.)

I got the information from the Fania's official website in the "About" section. I made sure to footnote the line I added and include a link to the source in the Reference section.

I wrote that it started out as a "small venture" because the website talks about how Fania used to sell merchandise out of the trunks of cars in New York City in its early years. I would have added that into my edit because it's interesting since Fania has so much clout now, but it would have taken away from the overall flow of the entry. It would have taken too long to get to the most important information in the next paragraph, which is about the emergence of the big salsa stars.

I also broke up the first paragraph so it wouldn't be so long.

This is what it looked like after I made my edits. And this is what it looked like before.

No comments: